Intimacy Part 3: Five Strategies for Increasing Intimacy in Your Relationship
Five Strategies for Increasing Intimacy in Your Relationship
In the first two blogs in this four-part series, I talked about the three keys to deepening relationship intimacy and how to assess the level of intimacy in your relationship. This blog is all about strategies for increasing intimacy.
Intimacy is a crucial part of any relationship. It is through intimacy that a couple truly gets to know each other and learn how to support and love one another in a way that leads to hyper fulfillment and sustained enjoyment for a lifetime.
If you want to deepen the level of intimacy in your relationship, I want to suggest five strategies in particular.
1. Daily seeking. Make daily time for you and you partner to check in with one another at an intimate level. Make sure the conversation goes beyond, “How was your day?” Seek to understand your partner’s present dreams, desires, interests, and challenges and learn how to increase your support for them. Here are questions you may find helpful to move the conversation to a deeper level of intimacy.
What are your hopes and dreams currently?
How can I help support you in them?
What’s been on your mind today?
How did that make you feel?
Why is that important to you?
What’s the biggest challenge you’re facing right now?
What did you take away from…?
What do you wish you had done about…?
2. Proactive sharing. Be proactive in disclosing your own thoughts and feelings. As examples:
When your partner does something that you like, go beyond “Thank you,” or “That was nice.” Be specific about what you liked and why you liked it. This additional information deepens intimacy and your partner’s knowledge of what’s important to you and why.
Example: “I really liked it when you brought me flowers today. It makes me know that you think about me even when we are apart.”
When your partner does something that you don’t like, don’t ignore the behavior or stop at, “I didn’t like that.” Instead, let your partner know how it made you feel and why.
Example: “You promised that you would make time for you and me tonight, but you spent two hours talking with your girlfriends on the phone about your day. That makes me feel sad because your actions say to me that my desires are not that important to you.”
If you have been churning on something and you realize you have been keeping it to yourself, don’t continue churning. Instead, turn to your partner and share what’s been on your mind.
Example: “Hey, I may have seemed a bit distracted lately. There’s something that’s been bothering me that I want to share with you because I can use your help in thinking it through.”
3. Supportive response. When your partner does share an intimate thought, a supportive response is often necessary to promote further deepening of your intimacy. Here is a quick list of dos and don’ts:
4. Connection rituals. Be intentional about making memories by creating rituals of connection to increase your level of trust, reliance, and predictability with each other. With higher levels of trust, you and your partner will likely feel more comfortable with going to deeper levels of intimacy. Your connection rituals might include activities such as the following.
Morning coffee time
Mid-day “thinking of you” texts
Occasional special sex dates
Weekly date night out
Working on a scrap book documenting your travels
5. Intentional acts of love. Recognize what makes your partner feel close to you and give that gift to them as a way of deepening intimacy. For example, for your partner the key might be praising them, touching them, giving something to them, doing something for them, or just spending time with them. Whatever it is for your partner, be intentional about giving them what they need to feel close. (When we talk about lifting your partner in Principle 3, we will more thoroughly discuss love languages and how to ensure your partner is feeling loved.)
Take the Next Step…
These intimacy concepts and strategies are extracted from the over sixty strategies included in The Porsha Principles. Through my workshops, videos, and book, let me show you and your partner simple steps that you can start using today to lay the foundation for YOUR lifelong honeymoon.
The Weekend Retreat
The Virtual Workshop
The Video Series
The Porsha Principles book
The Porsha Principles eBook
Can your relationship benefit from the Porsha Principles? Find out. Take the free assessment.
The universality of the Porsha Principles is designed to allow our solutions to be used effectively by couples of all ages, races, and orientations.
Porsha Principles eBook
Grab this definitive guide to rekindling the love, intimacy, and warmth that may be lacking in your relationship.
On-demand Video Series
The Porsha Principles are now available to you in nine illuminating and insightful videos. Access them all today!
Attend our highly engaging and interactive virtual workshop filled with opportunities for you and your partner to practice.
Intimate Weekend Retreat
This close and intimate intensive is limited to just fifteen couples working up close with Porsha.
Thanks so much!